View Single Post

Old 12-21-2018, 05:01 PM

Liked 6,591 Times in 2,191 Posts

Resurrected older thread.

I never did get around to attending the M&P Bodyguard 380 armorer class (only the Shield class), so I haven't become familiar with the inner workings other than the slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhilltoper View Post
I took out the 380 BG again yesterday to the range and again it embarrassed me it didn't even hit the target. I floated the sites around trying to find the answer and never did. Emptied magazine cleared weapon and put it back in the lock box. I have no idea what this thing is doing. Back in October I was firing out in the woods at old dead tree with target stapled and did same thing later when clearing area found holes down at root base of tree. Note was not more than 10 feet away when firing. Got any ideas?
If it were me, the first thing I'd do is slip you a magazine with a dummy round in it, and watch whether you're anticipating the brisk snap of the recoil for the itty bitty .380 plastic pistol. Especially if your hits are all ending up down and off to either side.

The long trigger DA pull, combined with how the little gun fits in your hand, might be coming together to create a "last moment" deflection of the muzzle as you finish the trigger press. Small guns which fit a little awkwardly in someone's hand can sometimes lend themselves to that sort of shooter-induced flinch.

Easiest way to check for this is creating an unexpected "click" instead of a bang (dummy round), so the shooter can feel for themselves what happens to their gun when they aren't being distracted by the muzzle blast and recoil impulse.

Not everyone's hands can easily accommodate and acclimate their grip & trigger technique to the ultra small and thin plastic guns. Kind of the nature of the little beasts, in a way.

let someone else shoot the gun? Hopefully someone who has some more time behind the trigger of the smaller guns?

If it's the gun, then the factory can check it out. If it's you? Then you either figure out how to acclimate yourself to the requirements of the thin little .380, or maybe pick something else for your needs that fits you better. Dunno.