View Single Post

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 PM

Liked 4,674 Times in 2,062 Posts

I have a 4" Python and I have a S&W 627-5. I had a Ruger GP100 Match Champion.
IMO the Python is a collector item. There will be no more made, the action is super and it is a beauty in its own right. It is like a Mona Lisa.

When I bought my 627-5 I was disappointed in the trigger action feel right out of the box. I adjusted the tension spring and oiled up the action and now I consider the action right up there with the Python though it does feel different.

I feel the Match Champion is like a tank centerfold. Beautiful and well built however I could not shoot it with great accuracy. I sold it after buying the 627.

I shot all three in a comparison shoot. For accuracy and feel the 627 was first then the Python very close 2nd and the Match Champion was last place in this match. For me gun to hand fit means it all for accuracy for me.

I will probably never sell the Python because it is sort of a Mona Lisa to me. I seldom shoot it but it is eye candy to me.

I have never shot or even held a 686 or a 27 or a 28. From what I have read all three are outstanding handguns. I believe the S&W 27 is probably the Python's greatest completion all around.

For really good quality shooter, keeping in mind the more affordable pricing, I would buy the S&W 686 or the Ruger GP100. Pricewise and all considered I believe the 686 or the GP100 would be the two highest ranking choices. The GP100 is considered the toughest most durable built 357 made today. The Python would be the safe queen for nostalgia and beauty. Occasional shooting just because you can.

I am not a fan boy of any gun brand. The brand isn't what I shoot or depend on. What meets my needs is what I am a fan boy of. That might be a Colt or S&W or Ruger or even a lesser expensive brand as long as it fulfills the need.
I heard so much about the FN 5.7 accuracy but I couldn't hit the barn door if I was standing inside the barn. It's all about what works for you not someone else.

I suggest if you can find a Python in fair to good condition for $800 that you jump on it. I seldom if ever see a Python going for that cheap. I am seeing decent looking so called shooters on GB priced around 2 grand right now. BTW The CEO of Colt has said they will not bring back the Python because the expense to make it today would be so great that few could buy one. Colt no longer has the gunsmiths of old to bring back the Python.

Last edited by gman51; 01-07-2019 at 10:30 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: