View Single Post

Old 01-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Liked 705 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
The only guns that are obsolete for self defense are, IMHO, blackpowder guns. I truly believe that any guns made for shooting smokeless powder will never be obsolete for self defense. Some ammunition might be a little puny for that purpose but not modern .380 ammunition and even mouse calibers are still able to terminate an aggression on your person. A "modern" gun like a Walther PPK will never be obsolete. You can rest easy on that score. Every handgun I own but for, I think, two, are made out of metal. Okay, three, since I have two Walther P-22s.
And I’d somewhat argue that a BP revolver isn’t quite obsolete with the first 6 rounds. Where BP revolvers become obsolete is with reloading. (I’ve personally always had a soft spot for the Ruger Old Army).

As to a .380 PPK, I think ammo is the driving force as to obsolescence. IMO the pistol is not obsolete until you can no longer readily find ammo for it. There are plenty of .380 ammo choices currently. Whether you rely on a metal framed hammer fired pistol to launch your .380 or a striker poly pistol are is simply a personal choice based on your preference for weight, capacity, bulk (easier or harder to conceal). In the photo above comparing the Shield and PPK, the PPK is still less bulky and more concealable.

I would not consider the PPK obsolete because it does not fire a 9mm or .40. That is an ammo choice, not a pistol choice.

Last edited by spad124; 01-16-2019 at 04:24 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: