View Single Post

Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 AM
S&W Historian

Liked 11,336 Times in 2,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio202 View Post
I was bored a couple of weeks ago and found a really nice Smith and Wessonbox for sale on an auction site for $10. I really like the old S&W boxes for the knives back in the 70's so I ended up winning auction for $10 as only bidder. It took me awhile to figure out what knife was originally in my cheap empty box. On the end is TR2308 and I finally figured out it was a Texas Ranger survival bowie was in box. Luck happened and I found somebody on same auction site with knife that was one of the leftover Texas Ranget knife that 15000 with brown in handle for $100 in new codition. Again I was the only bidder and ended up with knife #28171 that resides in box #TR2308. I think these knives are pretty neat and use them as displays in my gun cabinet along with a 6060 knife in box new of course a 6080 kinfe in box and a 125th anniversary belt buckle new in box I found for $25. Thought I would share with you guys a couple pics and one with my entire S&W knife/accessories collection. It is my belief some these knives required as much as 47 different operations to make each one and really were not a profitable item for S&W back in the day.
28171 is not a Texas Ranger Bowie left over. It it were, and its not, there would be a Texas Ranger disc in the handle. The number 28171 is too high. It's a plain Blackie Collins Bowie. There is no such thing as a "Survival Bowie". It's either a Bowie, or a Survival knife. The reason they stopped production was two fold, they made way too many and stiff competition in the knife market.