View Single Post

Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 PM

Liked 2,082 Times in 606 Posts
Default Update!

Well, the situation in Central Mexico is interesting. The gas pipelines got shut down to combat fuel theft causing a gasoline shortage in the center of the country centered around Salamanca, Guanajuato about 4 weeks ago. Lots of action and fireworks started in that area immediately. So my wife and I flew in about 3 weeks ago.

We have been back in Canada for almost 3 years now fixing up some things that needed to be fixed with the old Pension Plan. I have about 3 more years to go on that. Living back in the 1st World (is it really?) after 26 years in Bananaland is a real slap of reality, and not necessarily for the best. But it is certainly different.

So! What about Phil's gun? I have been rather busy doing some Dental work and stuff (I trust Mexican Doctors more because that's the ones I know after so many years here) and there have been shoot-outs on the local highways that make one think before commuting. Still, a quick visit to my old haunts needed to happen, I had too many friends and contacts I just had to check in with. I saw a lot in just a few days, before coming back here to Salamanca. Many, many old friends and employees and it was a totally 100% positive experience and visit for myself and the wife.

Phil's house, where he lived on the hill, is being torn down!!! I was shocked! As I passed by in the Taxi, I just had to wonder if the person who had purchased the house even knew the history of the house? Or cared? It was a beautiful house, but maybe not modern enough? It should have been declared a National Historic Monument in my opinion, but these days there a lot of people out there that would deliberately destroy the house of a CIA Patriot just out of spite.

I did not get time to visit Phil Maher's grave. (Roettinger was cremated and I do not know where his ashes are.) I see they have a bust of Phil Maher in a small plaza across from the Hotel Real de Minas -- along with Susan Roettinger, Phil's daughter who worked for years for the local Red Cross -- but I did not have my Cel with me to snap pictures of that. Next year I will visit longer and get those shots for this record.

Now, how is Phil's gun? It is in a very, VERY safe place, and is in perfect condition, exactly as I left it. Here is a photo, with a February 14, 2019 Mexican Newspaper as a background.

It just looks great! I was very happy, because I have not been there to care for it, and sometimes Quasimodo confuses himself easily. But all was fine.

While I was there, I made sure that some of the nice guns I am holding for friends to pick up (it is tough to co-ordinate with me to meet up now that I don't live there full-time, and I get that). I think I have posted them in other Posts, but they are doing well!

This R.M.:

And this classic:

All in the shape I left them in. Great job, Quasimodo! All is well with the World, even if it really isn't.

Last edited by calmex; 11-10-2019 at 09:08 PM.
The Following 11 Users Like Post: