View Single Post

Old 02-18-2019, 11:05 PM

Liked 4,674 Times in 2,062 Posts

Brake clean,acetone and carb cleaner are not made for cleaning plastics or wood finishes. If you want to see grips made of plastic or wood grips finish become gummy just go ahead and use them. I don't allow any of these cleaners to get on anything that is not metal.

You darn straight want to wear eye protection before using and wash your hands after using any of them or you could be visiting a doctor because body parts you touched with your hands can get really bad chemical skin burns. That has a lot to do with why mechanics wash their hands before unzipping rather than after zipping up. Just remember what these chemicals can do to plastic and wood finishes they can also do to your skin.
I had a corroded pliers with rubber covered handles that I couldn't open. I soaked the pliers in acetone and atf mix and the pliers still will not open and the rubbers covers are ruined now also.
I also learned 409 cleaner can really mess up a car windshield. It leaves like a haze wherever the cleaner is applied. Had to use a razor blade to remove the haze. It was sort of like I had smeared paraffin wax on the windshield. Then I read the label and sure enough it said do not use on glass. Yep read the label cautions before using anything or you could think dang did I ever make a mess and screw that up.
The Following User Likes This Post: