View Single Post

Old 02-23-2019, 11:02 PM

Liked 13,775 Times in 4,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermd View Post
You have a 44 mag? Why would you want to go down to a 45 acp?? I have shot 3 deer with the 44 mag that were heart lung shots and had to track all of them from 40-90 yds, all were broadsid , both lungs destroyed and 1 heart this was with hydroshocks, IMI soft point, Rem soft point. I have since switched to 250 XTP- one FELL about 3 yds otherwise is was like Thor's hammer and anchored them in the spot. All were broadside 33-35 yds. Why did some run ? I have no idea, at necropsy the damage was essentially the same with all loads, deer range from a 120 doe to 175 lbs buck?? I have shot deer with 357 mag and 40 SW ( 165 gr ranger ) all dropped there. IF you have to go with the 45 I would use XTP 230 or ranger 230 +P, and keep it to 50 yd or under. There is nothing worse than trailing/tracking a deer that should be lying on the ground. Enjoy. Be Safe.
All deer can run with lung shots......Even from a high powered rifle......Break the running gear(bones-neck/back/shoulders) with a centerfire pistol or rifle and they fall DRT.