Thread: Franzite grips.
View Single Post

Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Liked 29,144 Times in 14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebomm View Post
After "throwing them in a box", your next move should be to throw them in the trash. It's been my experience that Franzites have a nearly universal tendency to shrink, warp, and occasionally discolor. They never struck me as especially high quality in the first place, so I wouldn't even bother with 'em. JMHO

Larry
Throwing out something for which there is a market? There are those who believe they are reflective of the period in which they were most popular, the 1950s and 1960s and value them for that reason. I have sold perhaps a half-dozen pairs of Franzites on eBay over the years and got some pretty fair amounts for them.

Franzite grips are absolutely not Bakelite, which is a thermoset phenol-formaldehyde plastic, meaning that it cannot melt after the chemical polymerization reaction has occurred. They are instead made of some type of thermoplastic copolymer, probably polystyrene based, as they will melt and soften. I have straightened out warped Franzite grips by simply holding them over a hot electric cookstove element to soften them slightly and bending them straight again. Very simple to do.

Last edited by DWalt; 03-02-2019 at 05:29 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: