View Single Post

Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,597 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab4Us View Post
@ RonRiley The grip safety problem you mention is usually from an improper grip so, yes, grip can be an issue. Like you, I’ve never had issues with guns relating to grip. I can tell you for a fact though that I had to teach my wife how to properly grip the guns that work flawlessly for me so they would function the same for her. Many buyers of newer guns have never shot a gun before...again, if no one has ever taught them how to properly hold a gun, very possible they don’t know...and if not done right, it will lead to problems. Shooting is not a one size fits all sport.
I VERY HIGHLY agree.

And also add many "new" people have never learned how to properly clean a factory new or used weapon either. Factory new is packed with storage lube because no one knows how long a weapon will sit in storage, or sit in the box at a LGS in the back room before being sold. Storage lube needs to be scrubbed off, scrubbed and scraped out of EVERY nook, cranny, slit, slot, recess, etc. with a good gun cleaner and then redone again to make sure you got everything missed the first time on the entire weapon. It's made for STORAGE and will collect dirt and gunk if not cleaned off, it doesn't lube. The bore needs to look like a polished mirror when your done. That helps the bullet & case slide in easier to seat and after being expanded from the pressure from being fired slide out easier. Polishing the feed ramp also helps the bullet slide/feed into the chamber with less resistance. Bolt needs cleaning to slide in the upper, face has to have all the residue cleaned from the corners so the bullet case sits flush against it. Firing pin needs to slide freely in its slot. The extractor needs to be completely clean from all gunk so it can pivot against its tension spring then fully slide over to fully grab/lock/hook on the bullet case lip for extraction. All that storage lube needs to be cleaned from the slide and lower grip including the trigger & springs. Amazing how much "trigger grit feel" will disappear doing that. A small amount of lube on the hammer and functioning it by hand smooths up the trigger quite a bit too. Check for any mold or stamping burrs that may need attention. Then use a good gun lube before re-assembly and function the weapon by hand a couple dozen times. Check any wear areas that might need a drop of lube. Mags I completely strip down and wipe with a dry lube. Check feed lips for burrs, if the front of the lips are sharp I might take a small round file and "dull" them just a hair to take the square sharp edge or burrs off the ends. That takes any excessive drag off the bullets as they are pushed off the lips, fed up the feed ramp and into the chamber. A little "fine tuning" a proper lube can go a long way and there's a lot less stress with preventable problems once you hit the range.

Comes from keeping prices down and lower overhead with production assembly lines, quotas, random quality control checks that still meet with-in specs to get them out the door faster. I've noticed that over the years looking at first run models, then a couple years down the road looking at he same models but different run with the same tooling. ...Still in spec.

Last edited by Maddmax; 03-13-2019 at 12:12 PM.