View Single Post

Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 15,557 Times in 3,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
The only M1911-style .38 Super I have is a M1911 (a real 1918 M1911). I also have an EAA Witness. It is possible to handload .38 Super to near .357 levels, but it is best to use either Winchester 9x23 or Starline 9mm SuperComp brass (both of which are rimless). I have exceeded 1450 ft/sec with 124 grain FMJ bullets in mine. But one needs a strong recoil spring for such loads.

You are aware that with a 9mm barrel and magazine, you will have a dual caliber Combat Commander?
Hi Dewalt,

I have thought about the 9mm barrel and mags. I just received my 4 extra 38 Super mags from Colt. I guess that standard Colt 9mm mags will work just fine? Did you ever try and run the 9mm in 38 Super mags? how well did it work? I have run 40 S&W through my 10mm Delta Elite mags with no trouble.

Will the 9mm standard pressure FMJ cycle without recoil spring changes?

Also, the 9x23 - does it batter the frame lugs like the hot 10mm rounds? requires a buffer?

I am about halfway to sending this one off to have an Ed Brown bobtailed main spring housing installed.....and, the front red ramp is really growing on me. I may have to hunt some down for my other Commanders.

Thanks