View Single Post

Old 03-28-2019, 02:29 AM

Liked 409 Times in 114 Posts

The FBI, sadly, including their firearms training unit and ballistics lab, have just gotten so politicized and bureaucratized that I've little faith in what they've been doing for the past fifteen years or so. They shoot gel- a far cry from real flesh, whether dead or alive and pumping- so I can't see placing much value on test results there. Honestly, there needs be another iteration of the Thompson-LaGarde tests of 1904. There's no good reason why live tissue testing on bovines or swine- although GITMO detainees and death row inmates would be better- could not or should not be repeated today. That would be the only properly and objectively effective way to make a real determination as to true ballistic effectiveness of cartridge and projectile combinations in the modern era.

As far as I'm concerned, the physics that somehow magically transformed the 9x19 into something magical would also have carried over into all other calibers as well.

The variables involved in street shootings are too manifold and I think statistically invalid to draw the conclusion that "modern" projectiles have brought the 9x19 to parity in effectiveness with heavier and/or faster cartridges such as the big bore auto and revolver cartridges and the magnums.

There are also intangible considerations I think certain- especially larger, more bureaucratic- organizations tend to ignore. That is the level of confidence, elan and pride of its members. I am compelled to carry a SIG 229R in 9x19, soon to be a G-19M. I have, at this point in my life, fired both those pistols, to the tune of tens of thousands of rounds more than any of my personal revolvers or semi auto pistols of Browning and Czech lineage. Despite that, I can still hit subjectively more quickly, more easily and feel more confident with my .357, .44 or .45 revolvers or .45 self loaders. Splits matter more in the games. The speed of delivering follow up shots with the 9x19 I think rather inconsequential in field shooting. Despite my abundance of time with multiple platforms in 9x19 I still feel more confident and prefer to carry either medium or large frame magnum or big bore revolvers or single action big bore autos.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: