View Single Post

Old 04-02-2019, 02:06 PM

Liked 14,740 Times in 5,023 Posts

Picked up a used 2206 for a solid price a couple years back. I haven't given it the range time it probably deserves but I keep detailed records and I've sent 750 rounds down range with no issues.

Only two minor complaints... the original 12-round magazine works properly, but two different brand new S&W 41/622/2206 magazines fail to lock the slide open upon last shot, which is a minor annoyance but nothing that frustrates me too much. The other issue is that even with the adjustable rear sight bottomed out, it still shoots a bit high. 6-o'clock hold is one answer for this, but I almost feel like I have to stick Post-It notes on any of my rimfire pistols that exhibit this tendency, so I don't have to re-learn it each time that particular pistol gets a range day.

I love the all-steel construction, but as it is the 6-inch pistol, it's awfully heavy any time I use it for a brand new younger shooter or anyone who isn't used to holding heavy handguns at arms length.

I don't mind the odd location of the magazine release, in fact I really kind of like it. I will say with no hesitation that this is an ugly pistol. Ugly. Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. I remember when these guns first hit the market, I was a teenager and I remember saying "Wow, Smith & Wesson sure went ugly with these..." Ruger owned this market back in the 1980's and the Ruger was a handsome pistol.

As for my opinion that it's homely to look at, yes, of course this is simply my opinion and others won't share it. However, there are reasons that some cars are gorgeous to MOST folks and some cars are ugly to MOST folks and guns aren't much different. While there will absolutely be folks that find a 422/622/2206 to be visually attractive, this pistol has no chance of winning a beauty contest by popular vote.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: