View Single Post

Old 05-11-2019, 12:02 AM

Liked 920 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
It's not really a velocity range as it is a port pressure range. Choice of powder can affect this as can bullet weight. What powder and load data are you using?

If you check over the owners manual that should have come with the FAL, it should give instructions on how to adjust the gas system. That said, if it locks the bolt back reliably with GI ball, you probably need to reconsider your powder choice and weight of charge.
Sorry about that, was clumsy with my words, what I meant to say was it would not lock the bolt back on the FAL when its gas setting was set for M80 South Korean surplus, so it cycled but was weak. It was more of a point of reference to how it cycled in the weapon compared to real M80 factory, I've got a couple of markers to note the gas settings for different loads. When I was shooting some Tula through it (probably won't anymore after DSA advised not to and I'm handloading anyway) it would not cycle at all on PMC M80 gas setting. So it means that my current M80esque load is less powerful, but fairly close to PMC military and much more powerful than Tula.

My handload is 41.5 grains IMR 4895 in said South Korean M80 spent cases, 147 grain M80 Magtech pulled bullets with CCI large rifle (not military like I shoulda bought) primers. Didn't get around to chronograph, try to do that tomorrow. It cycles the M1a the few test rounds so far, brass lands close to where PMC M80 did, feeds well in the PTR and the thrown case pattern is on par with M80 in that as well. I'll have to set up the lead sled and put it on paper and speed test to get a great idea. If the load seems a bit light, let me know before I put too many rounds through the M1a.