View Single Post

Old 06-01-2019, 07:11 PM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul105 View Post
Some impressive specimens and collections here.

I have three:

S&W M329 Alaskan Backpacker

S&W M69 Combat Mag

Ruger Alaskan .480 Ruger

Nice Snubbies. That Alaskan BackPacker and it's side plate with the etched Grizzly Bear and Pacific Fir trees... I love that sideplate etching!

I have a "Mountain BackPacker", M629-5 that has/had a Grizzly Bear, crawling over a boulder and maybe Sequoia trees in the background laser etched into the sideplate that was 95% of the way polished off at the factory for some LAME reason! The only two "MBP" owners that I know of other than mine say their Mountain Back Packers exhibit the exact same laser etching(s)... with the Grizzly Bear and Trees, polished off at the factory and only visible with a bright light too. Your "Alaskan BackPacker" with it's sideplate made me go get the 300 Lumens StreamLight flashlight and have both the wifey and daughter confirm the Grizzly, Boulder, and Trees... (I decided to take the "MBP" with us on vacation to Florida for our trip because stainless steel handles this humidity so much better than a blued finish!) Anyways, I wished Smith would have left the original etching in tact just like yours without having to go outside in the sunlight or a high powered flash light to see it. I really like your "ABP" and it's side-plate etching!

Pic of polished off Grizzly, etc..

ETA: If anyone has any info as to why Smith took to the trouble of grinding/polishing off the side-plate etchings off of the M629-5 "Mountain BackPacker" model I'd love to know more about it. I believe Smith only made 500 of these designated Revolvers so it's been really hard to even know another person that actually has one! My "MBP" has the serial number "MBP02XX" etched into the underside of the top strap... A feature/marking area that is usually reserved only for PC guns I've been told! The trigger in DA has been really stellar from day one... SA the trigger is something to write home about so maybe it did go thru the hands of the PC... Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HamHands; 06-01-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Pic and knowledgeable request***
The Following 6 Users Like Post: