View Single Post

Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo288 View Post
First time I have heard that wood called "Morado".
Thank you. It's good to learn something new every day.
I never really knew what the wood on my 3" 624 was until I looked up "Morado".
Now I know it's also more usually called Pau Ferro.
Libidibia ferrea - Wikipedia
The set on my 624 do not have the beveled bottom pictured above but look more like the ones on the 3" 24.
Was that a modification?
Kind of unusual for S&W combats of that era.

Those grips have never really fit my hand at all.
The finger grooves are in the wrong place.
I got a set of Spegels (ebony) that work much better.
The quality of that picture is not so good as it was taken off a mirror.

The holster is the one that came with the gun and is about as perfect as can be (BLW).
Notice the cylinder is completely above the belt.
Rumor has it they were made by Gould & Goodrich.
It also works for my beloved L frame 44's so I am really happy I bit for that holster way back when (mid 80's).
The "Morado's" actually fit my Hands even better than the Lew Horton Special 80's OEM Combats do so the Morado's are my favorite for form and function... and they look good and carry even better while printing less. The one's on 75Vette's I commented upon... that reddish hue, (if in fact they are true Morado's... Vette will chime in for sure)... that deep red usually only comes from the heartiest heart of the Pao Ferro "Morado" tree stock. Most of the tree is made up of the traditional brownish, with dark strikes coloring.

I just sourced an original, never used one of those M24 OEM holsters exactly like you pictured that came with the Lew Horton Specials thanks to "Shark-Bait" here. Holster rides nice and high without printing as well which is the whole point/mantra... "flying under the radar." It's super quality stitched and the leather is fantastic. You can't source a new holster for a 3" N frame that is anything of this quality and believe me, I tried. DeSantis makes one but I wouldn't give it half the rating I'd give the M24 OEM Smith holster!

Last edited by HamHands; 06-16-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Syntax...
The Following User Likes This Post: