View Single Post

Old 07-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Liked 924 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
I'd like to add something to my long blather after reviewing some of the other recommendations. Be realistic about how strong you are. I'm pretty strong for a guy of my size, and my Canemaster cane is heavy enough that it requires some forearm workouts to keep me in shape to be able to use it properly. The Ka-Bar cane that zzclancy recommends is pretty neat, but the sucker is almost certainly too heavy for any eighty-year-old of my acquaintance (and I know many fit men in their eighties) to be able to use effectively in their defense. If I'm honest, I think the cane I pictured above probably is, too.

KA-BAR 9406 TDI Self-Defense Walking Cane 39" Overall - KnifeCenter

Be realistic about what you can use. While most strikes you'll learn are two-handed, you'll want to be able to maneuver the thing pretty easily with one hand.

Oh, and wetdog1911's livestock cane is not any less effective than the prettier cane that I bought - and it's a lot cheaper!
Good point about the weight. Some really quick searching shows your cane @~3lbs and the livestock cane @~2lbs. That extra lb is nice in a fighting cane where you want maximum strength & heft, but could really get tiresome if you're using it all day walking, lifting it with each step. My 2# cane can get heavy after a long day using it.

Where I live dogs would be more of an issue than any 2 legged threat and having a yard long hickory stick made tons more sense than a few ounces of hollow aluminum like the majority of canes you see.

You do have to be aware of your strength and mobility limits and work within those parameters.

Wet
The Following User Likes This Post: