Thread: The Commander!
View Single Post

Old 08-02-2019, 08:05 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,047 Times in 4,758 Posts

Well, you’re wrong about the 1911 being like any other pistol, at least to some of us.

I do tend to agree that in anything except a very finely tuned target trigger, a properly functioning Series 80 safety is not a great hardship. On the other hand, I do think the Series 80 parts are a reliability risk. For that reason, I’d rather have the standard design, not because it actually affects the trigger pull all that much. Conversely, I am not one of those who shrieks in horror when they see the dreaded... “external” extractor. S&W’s seem to work very well.

As Les notes, Colt, like S&W, these days seem to be inhabited by employees who don’t know or care about their own history. Commanders are aluminum-frame guns with 4.25” barrels. Period. Other versions that look like a Commander are correctly called something else. They’re not true Commanders. I am only interested in Commanders. If I want a gun with a steel-frame, I’d prefer to just have the regular 5-inch gun. All this just my own very humble opinion, of course.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: