View Single Post

Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Liked 11,453 Times in 3,023 Posts
Default New Performance Center Gun

Couple days ago, I was at a local gun shop when A new two tone PC ".44 Magnum Hunter" caught my eye. Really liked the look, and was surprised how it felt in my hand. I expected it to feel heavier and not balance in the hand as well as it did.

Thought about it, walked out, sat in my truck, then walked back in and bought it. Not sure why, as I am not lacking in N frames, especially in the .44 mag flavor. It just appealed to me. I guess those new tires on the Vette can wait until spring...

Went to the range today, and put 100 rounds through it - 50 240 grain cast midrange, and 50 240 grain XTP hunting loads. Tight fist sized groups at 50 yards with the hunting loads from the bench, and almost as good with the mid-range loads.

Really well fit and finished, and the DA pull was a step above the average 629-6, in my opinion. SA trigger was perfect. The detachable muzzle brake did make a difference in muzzle rise and felt recoil, especially with the hot loads, when compared to a long tom 29-4 I brought along for comparison. Maybe a little more muzzle blast, but I don't handgun hunt these days without electronic hearing protection, so not a real issue.

Action was crisp and tight, bore smooth, with no leading after the first 50 cast loads. My only issue, if that, is with the UTG Red Dot included with the gun. It seemed to work fine, hold zero, and might very well prove long term durable, we will see. I didn't like how bulky it is though, and may replace it with a trimmer holographic sight down the road. Overall, I think its a keeper. It was more accurate than the proven accurate long tom 29 I brought with it to the range, though I am sure that red dot sight helped.

I will be taking it up to Maine this November for a try at one of those big Maine bucks.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.jpg (159.1 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0142.jpg (147.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.jpg (173.2 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-20-2019 at 02:56 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: