View Single Post

Old 09-23-2019, 10:45 PM

Liked 423 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackTech View Post
My cousin just retired from the ISP after 30 years on the job. He wasn’t a gun guy at all and remember him showing me his service pistol not long after the got hired in . I’m pretty sure it was a 5904 as others have noted here. Also he was issued a Remington 870 as well. The thing I remember the most was his back up gun. Him and all in is class went out and bought double stack Kel-tec 9mm compacts. Their reasoning was they could use the 5904 mags in the Kel-Tec’s if a reload was needed. About halfway through his career he got off the road and into investigations . I don’t know at what point they switched to Glocks but towards the end of his career, he also had a issued AR-15 in 9mm which I really thought was weird .
Your Cousin’s backup Kel-Tec was a P-11 and I also carried one in an ankle holster for many years. When I transferred from D-15 I had to leave my Brand new parkerized 870 Police Magnum with rifle sights with D-15. When I arrived in my new District I was issued an old S&W 3000 with no front sight. It must of been ten years before I was issued a new blued 870 Police Magnum.

When your cousin was in investigations the Department issued investigators old Colt 9 MM sub machine guns. These 9 MM AR’s had high round counts because they had been used by the Tactical teams. The 9 MM were converted to semi auto only and issued to investigators. TRT (Tactical Response Teams) got new Bushmaster M-4’s. After 911 ISP approved rifles for patrol. There were a couple of batches of Bushmaster 16” AR-15’s and several hundred DOD surplus M-16 A-1’s with semi auto FCG. I was issued an Colt M-16 A-1 but later turned it in and carried my personal 16” AR-15 till I retired. Over the course of a couple of years all patrol Troopers were issued AR-15’s plus a 12 gauge shotgun. I don’t know if there are any Colt M-16’s still in use by ISP as the department was buying Armalite 16” AR-15’s when I retired.
The Following User Likes This Post: