View Single Post

Old 11-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Liked 2,329 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guevera View Post
Did anybody ever determine what department the N.P.D. guns came from? I have one too and posed the question a while back, but I don't think there was any firm answer. Newark? Norfolk? Nashville?
I'm going with S&W Rover's 4-4-17 post (see below) and opt for Newark. I bought the gun from XAVMECH after he got it from S&W Rover.

'I think the letter from Roy Jinks has pinpointed well how these pistols got from Springfield to New Jersey. I found some posts about Ray's Sporting Goods -- they were a huge supplier for police in Jersey that closed around 2009 when the owner hit his 90's and decided to retire.

I'm guessing the N.P.D. XXX number was put on the pistols after they were bought, presumably by an armorer. The number of pistols with this marking is in the hundreds - based on the numbers we've seen in the recent web sales (I have N.P.D. 188). So my guess is still Newark, as one of the few departments big enough to have that many officers needing a smaller pistol (e.g., detectives, staff, etc.). As posted earlier, a call to the PAO for the Newark Police Division, and his conversation with the armorer, indicated they did have 3953's and they did mark them with N.P.D. (he could not confirm that my number was one of theirs).

With the 3953, Newark would have had a pistol similar to the NYPD 3914DAO (although without the restrike capability). I can imagine police departments in that region looking to emulate NYPD in their choice of firearms for their officers.'