View Single Post

Old 11-16-2019, 02:01 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
How's that work?

The 38 LC case is 1.031" and the 38 spl case is 1.155" - a difference of just under 1/8" - and a .357 mag case is 1.29" - more than a full 1/4" longer than the 38 LC.

Is the 38 LC cylinder bored straight through without bullet-diameter throats that start at the depth of the case mouth? Is the cylinder length long enough for it to still spin when you chamber a 38 spl or .357 mag round? I glanced at the chambers, but didn't even think to look for throat ridges.
Now here‘s my half-remembered version of the actual story; this late at night I might get something wrong, but it‘s too difficult right now to dig out Bob Best‘s book, which is the bible on these:

The .38 Special is longer but the same diameter as the .38 Long Colt because S&W was hoping to sell the military on the new .38 hand ejector and this way both cartridges could be fired from the same gun, making the S&W attractive both to civilian and LEO shooters who wanted the hotter Special and the US military who wanted to use the Long Colt.

The DA Colts were bored through until at least 1903, meaning .38 Special will chamber without a problem. In fact, once S&W started writing “.38 S&W SPECIAL & US SERVICE CTG” on the barrels, Colt began advertising that their DA revolvers too could shoot both cartridges; this was not accompanied by any engineering changes like reinforcements, but large-scale blow-up disasters are not reported in the historical record.

At least some models, like the Officers Model, were supposedly actually shouldered for the Special, and from 1903 a slightly smaller barrel diameter was adopted for better accuracy with .38 Special. I do not recall the exact circumstances.

Obviously, don’t even think about any .357 Magnum loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
How'd you make that determination? When I put in the serial number on the butt it comes up with 9 results and of those at least these 3 all look like they could be it.
No, they can’t. To anyone familiar with old Colts, the PP and PPS look so different from this DA Colt that it is immediately obvious, the way you could probably tell a Model 36 from a Model 15 right away.

Last edited by Absalom; 11-16-2019 at 02:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: