View Single Post

Old 11-16-2019, 02:11 AM

Liked 18,473 Times in 7,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
How'd you make that determination? When I put in the serial number on the butt it comes up with 9 results and of those at least these 3 all look like they could be it.
No, they can’t. To anyone familiar with old Colts, the PP and PPS look so different from this DA Colt that it is immediately obvious, the way you could probably tell a Model 36 from a Model 15 right away.
That last statement seems like a bit of an exaggeration. The differences in the photos in the articles I link below aren't nearly as pronounced as the differences between a fixed-sight J-frame and an adjustable sight K-frame. I mean, after all, the Colts are all 6-shots, similar sized frames, and had several barrel lengths in common. There are some differences but nothing as glaring as your M36 vs M15 example - at least not that I'm seeing. Though I have already admitted I'm not one who is "familiar with old Colts".

I did a little more research and from what I'm seeing on Wikipedia (I know, I know, not a definitive source - but usually pretty good) the Police Positive looks a lot more like this one than the schematic on Numrich would lead me to believe.
Colt Police Positive - Wikipedia

However, when I looked at the Wikipedia article about the Colt New Army Double Action all doubts were put to rest.
Colt M1892 - Wikipedia
The photos look almost identical to this revolver. Notice the notch in the backside of the trigger that is missing in the photos of the Police Positive. The clincher is the barrel markings in the photo right below the window that lists the specifications. Enlarging that photo it clearly reads
Colt DA 38
Which is exactly the same barrel marking you can see in my third picture in post #1.

I was actually hoping it was 38 spl instead of 38 LC. But if I can make up 38 LC level loads in 38 spl brass, that's not a deal breaker. I may even trim some 38 spl brass to 38 LC length and color the cartridge heads with a sharpie just to make the ammo more obviously different from the rest of my 38 spl loads.

I think I'll go back tomorrow and if I can't find anything more mechanically wrong with it, I'm gonna give this old pony a new home. I've already found a set of repro grips and an ejector knob on Numrich for about $60.

Thanks for all the info & input guys!

Last edited by BC38; 11-16-2019 at 02:23 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: