Thread: S&W 1911's
View Single Post

Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 PM

Liked 2,596 Times in 1,132 Posts

I cannot say anything negative about S&W 1911s. I own four and every one works well and is plenty accurate. Conversely, I used to own three Kimber 1911s and had problems with two of them and a Kimber 22LR Target conversion kit.

Even when installed on a Kimber Gold Match frame, that kit malfunctioned more often than not. After two trips back with repair invoices stating "replaced small parts," I sent it back on my Kimber GM frame and they replaced the frame's mainspring housing. I don't see how that part could affect slide operation but they're the experts...

Finally, they exchanged the kit for me but out of 100 CCI MiniMags fired, 74 of them either failed to chamber, failed to fire, failed to extract or failed to eject! Their reply was that I was not holding the gun properly.

I replaced that conversion kit with an Advantage Arms Target conversion kit and have yet to have a malfunction on any frame. I've since sold all my Kimbers and replaced them with S&Ws. All three .45s and the .38 Super are great guns!

Meanwhile, two fellow club members showed up one day with Kimber kits on their 1911s and went through the same frustrations as I had. I loaned one of them my Advantage Arms kit and he shot several boxes of ammo without a hitch.

Regardless of who makes it, the best product in the world is worthless without quality service behind it. And a poor product backed by equally poor service is the next thing you should sell.

Ed
The Following 4 Users Like Post: