View Single Post

Old 01-02-2020, 05:43 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

It's def. a concern, as Muley said. S&W heat treated M-1917 cylinders only because the US Govt. required that. Their .455 cylinders were NOT treated and should not be loaded to very high pressures.

But I've never seen any cautions about using .455 Colt ammo in an S&W. That fired a 265 grain bullet at a nominal 750 FPS , and was slightly hotter than US issued .45 Colt ammo, inc. the M-1909 round, which has a larger rim. The .455 Colt used the longer .455 MK I length case.

The problem is, .455 Colt is no longer loaded! Availability alone dictates that the .45 Colt is about the sole option if you want more than MK II .455 velocities.

I don't know if Webley ever heat treated cylinders, but their guns for smokeless powder did have thicker chamber walls. The thicker cylinders are probably the only difference between MK IV and MK V Webleys. MK V wasn't made until 1913, though, so MK IV and earlier cylinders couldn't have been causing many problems, as cordite ammo was being used prior to 1900.

However, earlier Marks were sometimes re-cylindered after about 1913, so there must have been some concern.
Colt began using heat treating and probably stronger steels long before S&W did, and I've never seen a reference to any concern about converting Colt New Service .455's to .45 Colt.

Of course, it goes without saying that NONE of these converted .455's should ever be fed Ruger Only .45 Colt level ammo!

I grew up knowing about and using these guns, and it's a shock to realize that most are now over 100 years old!

Last edited by Texas Star; 01-02-2020 at 06:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: