View Single Post

Old 01-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Liked 7,746 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
I like the look of heavy carved Berns-Martin wide contoured belts I’ve seen pictures of. They look very comfortable and practical, though maybe too wide for some people. When did they start making those after Heiser?
Jack Palance’s rig in Shane had two Heiser holsters on a belt that I think was said to be Heiser, too, in old posts here or elsewhere. the way that belt fit him always gave me the impression it was contoured, it looked that good.
Personally I would make a distinction between the boomerang shaped Buscadero by Berns-Martin (answer: about 1940) and the Myres Buscadero that was actually straight; and the gently arced gunbelts that were claimed for Andy Anderson.

Here's a Myres that they actually called a buscadero in print:

1931 myres (5).jpg

Here's the Berns-Martin that they, too, called a buscadero in print:

1940 -ish calhoun city (1).jpg Ironically the holster is held to the belt with an overlying strap -- which was the original design of the Buscadero for Capt. Hughes. Myres did not use this method.

Here's the Ojala that shouldn't be called a buscadero but is (Dale Myres and he having apparently argued the point):

1960 colts (7).jpg

Here's the Heiser that's simply a curved belt, as turnerriver says from the late '30s:

heiser before anderson (1).jpg

Here's the Anderson from 1969:

heiser before anderson (2).jpg

Notice, please, that all but the Berns-Martin have a lowermost, extended edge that is slotted to accept the holster fender being slipped through it. Technically then it is not a Buscadero without the slot (yet see my note above about the B-M and Hughes).

Gunleather makers' "memories" get real fuzzy when they make claims that help their current sales. And Milt's memory was fuzzier than most because he had not been immersed in gunleather 'holstory' when he got his start; he simply took advantage of Andy Anderson's very recent strokes (and the causative L.A. earthquake damage that closed his shop) and jumped in with direct copies. Then more recent owners at Sparks have pretended that 'paying homage' to Andy made that all OK (it doesn't).

Last edited by rednichols; 01-03-2020 at 03:57 AM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: