Thread: My Sigs
View Single Post

Old 01-03-2020, 08:40 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Sigs are nice guns. I've shot a few, a P220 in .45ACP, a P228 in 9mm, and a P229 in 9mm.

Back when I was looking at getting my first handgun, it was between the P220 and a Beretta 92FS. I tried examples of each at a rental range. While the P220 was nice, it just didn't feel right in my hand, I think it was the front-to-back distance of the grip frame. I got the 92, which I still have.

I can't really remember my impressions of the shooting the P228. I remember liking it, but I shot it side-by-side with a 4" Model 10 with magna grips and I shot the revolver better.

Then last year when I was looking at getting a new 9mm carry gun, I rented a P229 and shot it side-by-side with a Beretta PX4 Compact. While I shot the P229 well, and it felt good in my hands, something about the trigger wasn't to my liking, not really sure what it was. I ended up buying the PX4.

At one point the P239 was at the top of my list of compact semi-autos I wanted. I came close to buying a P239 SAS DAK in .40S&W when they first came out, but for the price I could get a Gen 3 Glock 23, a bunch of mags, ammo, and carry gear, which is what I did. And last year, when I was trying different 9mms at rental ranges, I had planned on trying a P239. I was a little hesitant because it was out-of-production by that time, but after trying the PX4 I just went with that one.

I really wanted to try a Sig P250 Compact, too, but it was also out-of-production and I wasn't crazy about the proprietary rear sight.

I've never seriously considered carrying a 1911 for self defense, but I had thought the Sig Traditional Compact 1911 was about as close to an ideal carry 1911 for me as I was going to get without extensive custom work. It, too, was discontinued.

As much as I like Sigs and can appreciate their form and function, it just seems like we are just not meant to be...*sigh*