View Single Post

Old 01-05-2020, 11:02 AM

Liked 1,619 Times in 794 Posts

He should have a reloading manual or a couple. Usually the first couple chapters go over the basics of reloading. Most reloaders would consider this mandatory reading. YouTube can be helpful once you understand the basics and want to see how it’s done. There’s probably videos of the exact press he had.

I’d guess that the rounds he loaded had the basic details included somewhere on the rounds packaging. Most people will record the powder type and amount at a bare minimum. OAL (overall length), primer type, number of times the case has been relaoded are other common notes. For example a common 9mm round would be 124 grain lead truncated cone, with 3.9 grains of Bullseye powder, with and OAL of 1.10”, and a Winchester small pistol primer (WSP). All that lingo probably doesn’t mean much but knowing each detail is critical to understand before attempting to make any loaded rounds,

One word of caution would be that loading lead in 9mm and .223 isn’t really a beginners proposition. Both .223 and 9mm are a small case with high pressure. Any small errors are magnified when dealing with these rounds. .38 Special or even 45 ACP are much easier to learn on. With lead 9mm a beginner can get rounds that shoot and cycle the gun, but there’s a good chance the accuracy will be much worse than any factory round. Try to load .223 and there’s a decent chance you’ll have problems getting the round to chamber if a couple different steps aren’t done correctly.

The lead should be easy to sell and the molds used to crate the individual bullets can be worth anywhere from $20 to $100+ depending on which molds and their condition. If I was selling the lead I wouldn’t go less than $1.50 or $1.25 per pound if someone takes it all.