View Single Post

Old 01-07-2020, 12:24 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,141 Times in 1,995 Posts
Default Crude, but effective

I was digging for gun parts and came across this tool I made sometime around 1996. I had just about forgotten I had it until this recent rediscovery.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

At some point, several years after purchasing my last Browning SA-22, I discovered that the stock had loosened from the receiver and the result was a gun that was just about impossible to shoot accurately - the barrel and action were free to twist in my hands. I made the tool pictured above out of 1/8" Strap steel and tightened the nut at the back of the stock, the one surrounding the magazine.

Here's a photo of the nut I'm referring to.

[IMG][/IMG]

After repairing the rifle, I remember coming across a reference to this loose stock condition in one of the gun magazines of the time period. The author admonished his readers from attempting any repair on their own, and instead insisted that repair of this condition required return of the gun to a factory repair facility.

Mine has fired literally thousands of rounds in the 23 years or so since I tightened the stock. It has never jammed, and continues to be a very accurate .22.

[IMG]3[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Maybe I was just lucky?

Anyone else ever had this happen to your Browning SA-22? If so, what was your remedy?
SWCA #3279
The Following 16 Users Like Post: