View Single Post

Old 01-08-2020, 08:55 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,929 Times in 3,648 Posts

Okay------#069 shows a manufacturing date of 12/27/1904, and is described as .38 H.E. 6.5" barrel.

A letter will likely tell you more about the gun---will likely refer to it as a Model of 1902 1st Change, may tell you the ultimate recipient, or simply say it was delivered to a Wesson. I seem to recall being told 50 or more club guns were delivered to Wessons---the presumption being they/most were then passed along to whomever---wherever. Interestingly enough, #'s 020 through 025 were all for "Winans" (big time target shooter), and doesn't really say what model the guns are---could be NM #3's. All I recall is 6.5" barrels, and all six guns were the same, albeit perhaps of different calibers. The "Club Pistol" stamp on yours is a new one on me, but almost anything about a Club Gun is. I suppose I've seen a dozen or so over the years, but have never owned one.

Ralph Tremaine

I just remembered one (speaking of Model of 1902 1st Change) that one could perhaps think of as a quasi-Club Gun. It's #59794, and was delivered to "Edward H. Burton, Shop". Roy seems to have taken a special interest in this one, and went looking for that individual in the Springfield and area city directories, and found no such person. He did find a photograph of company foremen of the time, one of whom was Edward H. Burt, and surmises the photo caption might be incorrect. It's pretty much a lead pipe cinch something was incorrect somewhere, and coming upon errors in company records is old news.

Last edited by rct269; 01-08-2020 at 09:23 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: