View Single Post

Old 01-08-2020, 06:31 PM

Liked 1,195 Times in 457 Posts

I have both the 625-6 (Model of 1989) 5" and the 625-8 JM Special. Both are ABOVE excellent revolvers. Both of mine shoot extremely well with my home cast bullets of various designs.

I live in Ohio and deer hunting is available to nearly all of the State. Ohio regs limit the minimum barrel length of a revolver to 5" for deer hunting. The .45 Auto Rim with the Lyman 452424 (250 gr Keith cast bullet) is an excellent choice for deer and hogs in the woods. You can safely drive that bullet to 900 fps plus and it is a good choice for woods use.

Some years ago, I lost most of the vision in my right eye. I switched to red dot sights and shoot right handed but left eyed. It surprisingly only took two range sessions to get up to speed with my left eye. When using the Red Dot sight, the 4" shoots just as well for me as the 5". As recently as last year I was still shooting my .45 revolvers as much as 7500 rounds per year. I found that I was using the 4" more than the 5". My youngest son expressed an interest in the 5" and I gifted him that fine revolver. He shoots it very well, too.

FWIW
Dale53
The Following 2 Users Like Post: