View Single Post

Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,912 Times in 1,196 Posts
Default Reverse serendipity?

As I was going through some old records tonight, I came across a revolver I bought...and immediately sold...because of serendipity.

Several years ago, I placed an inexpensive bid on a 4" M&P model from the mid-teens based on some pretty crummy photos. It had what appeared to be a factory lanyard ring on it. It was listed as in "poor" condition, and I got it for about $250 after commissions and shipping.

When I received it, it turned out to be in nice condition with beautiful original stocks, some muzzle wear and a turn ring. Indeed it had a factory lanyard ring with an offset serial number. Additionally, it was stamped on the back of the frame "No 19" and "Conservation Commission - State of New York". I confirmed that it was part of a special order to S&W. Dated 1915.

So, I am pleased with what I got, and have an interesting new revolver to play with.

Less than 3 weeks later, I am over on the Colt forum (at the time I also collected 1903 Colts), and see there is a post from a guy asking if anyone has seen or heard of a Smith & Wesson M&P that is stamped with the Conservation Commission of New York on it. The guy is a New Yorker (retired LEO), and has been putting together a collection of New York issued firearms for years, and this is the last item he is looking for. So I sold it to him. I sometimes miss having it, but it just seemed like it was fated to go to him...me to see a post for an S&W on the Colt forum...for something I had just picked up. Anyway, here are a few pictures.

The Following 55 Users Like Post: