View Single Post

Old 01-09-2020, 11:35 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts
Default Factory Refurbished or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinman View Post
At about this time in the conversation I always think about the factory restored pieces and the effect that has on collector status. I feel very fortunate to have a factory restored 1st Model Double Action .44 Russian, as far as I'm concerned it is the most beautiful piece I own and would be nearly impossible to be as beautiful unless it was in near unfired condition. Therein lies the rub, someone would rather it be in nearly 75% condition than to be restored by the factory. I am not as giddy over a non factory restored piece although I have seen some very fine work. I appreciate the factories stampings of the date the work was done and other cymbals indicating specified work entailed. Of course the letter spells everything out, although not entirely, there is always something open to speculation. By guess by golly.
In collecting, 99% of it is personal preference. To me, a factory refurbished S&W in outstanding condition is something I would not pass up, if priced within reason.

Moreover, the close inspection of the piece to examine "THROUGH" the factory refurbish to determine how beat up or how nice it was prior to the rework.

Then, there's the consideration of if ... whether or not ... someone did a second refinish on top of the factory refinish / refurb trying to pass it off as the original S&W refurb.

The factory re-works have a place, position and certainly a much more sought after bunch of collectors over another like S&W that was reworked by some, unknown, gunsmith.

This does not, in any way, slander some of the professional restorationists or older craftsman who performed factory quality work as their standard of quality.

Just to mention one was Charles Duffy. Master gunsmith & refinisher. His standard refinish was, by far, better than most other "restoration" jobs by other gunsmiths.

Back to S&W Factory refinished / refurbished guns, they surely have a place in better collection for what they are, factory refinished / refurbished which are a lesser value than an equal quality original.

In our day and age of cosmetic perfection, many newer collectors would opt for the gun more cosmetically appealing while us old "hard core" mustachios would prefer our guns to be finer condition originals.

I have mostly original condition antiques, relics and curios, with fewer factory refurbished S&Ws but I certainly DO have some outstanding factory refurbished S&Ws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Refub Schofiled 1st.jpg (39.6 KB, 49 views)
The Following 4 Users Like Post: