View Single Post

Old 01-09-2020, 01:41 PM

Liked 2,954 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrifleman View Post
Dirty Harry Callahan,

I feel that ENERGY FOOT POUNDS does matter, but with respect to shooting, I am (and most likely always will be) a dinosaur. I see self-defense much like hunting. In the event that I take a shot, I want the recipient of that shot to drop as quickly as possible.

In my perspective, bullet energy means momentum. For example, a 22 Long Rifle has a muzzle energy of 116 foot pounds, while a 357 Magnum (158gr) has a muzzle energy of roughly 530 foot pounds, and a 45 ACP has a muzzle energy of 355 foot pounds. Rightly or wrongly, I would like to believe that the more momentum that I can sling at a recipient will increase the chances of dropping the recipient. If my logic is off, I would love to see a welterweight boxer fight a heavyweight boxer!

Chances are extremely good that in a gunfight, the defender won't be able to deliver pinpoint accuracy, so you need a card up your sleeve, and in opinion, that card is momentum (bullet energy).
This sums up my thoughts on the topic pretty well.

Some folks argue that 9mm is enough and a more powerful caliber is overkill, but as a SOF buddy of mine said, "there's no such thing as overkill, there's just dead."
The Following 5 Users Like Post: