View Single Post

Old 01-09-2020, 05:28 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

M-26 is a pretty good holster gun if you can cope with just .45 ACP power. You can load it up to equal .45 Colt power with 250 grain Keith bullets and have a pretty potent sidearm.

The heavier barrel of Model 25 just adds weight. Okay for a target gun, which it is, but not needed in a holster arm.

I owned a Model 26 or pre-26 and finally figured that for the bulk, I might as well carry a .44 Magnum. At the time, Remington offered a good lead medium powered .44 load. I think Buffalo Bore still makes a sprightly .44 Special round for when you don't need full Magnum power. The gun lasts much longer if not hot rodded all the time.

Today, I'd wear a M-629 in that role, and it'd take the same nice Safariland M-29 holster. Mine is black,basketweave, nicely lined with green "elk" suede.

I did use the M-26 as a house gun, and feel sure it'd do well in that role. But it wasn't very accurate with factory .45 AR bullets, and I hated using half moon clips.

Finish on most M-26's is a satin blue, not much better than on a M-28. More M-25's have been made with bright blue finishes, I think.

BTW, as a target gun, my Colt Gold Cup .45 auto was easier to shoot really well than the M-26 was.The problem with lead .45 Auto Rim bullets is that they were too soft to take the rifling well. In that model, it's designed for jacketed bullets. I've read that harder cast bullets work better.

I really dislike .45 ACP revolvers. As an emergency war item in WW I, the M-1917 made sense. But for personal use, you can make better choices for similar bulk.

Last edited by Texas Star; 01-09-2020 at 06:01 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: