Thread: Wolff springs
View Single Post

Old 01-12-2020, 01:29 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,553 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGunSancho View Post
My guess is revolver manufacturers buy some components such as springs from vendors. Whether they buy them from vendors or make them themselves, upon what facts could you rely that would support factory installed springs are superior to Woolf or Wilson?

This is an educated guess: Woolf and Wilson springs are superior to factory installed springs.
I never said that factory installed springs are superior to aftermarket springs. However, they are the springs with which the gun was designed to work and S&W or any manufacturer will turn a deaf ear to any complaints that arise from the use of aftermarket components.

Smith does indeed use some Wolff Power Rib springs in their guns - most notably some of their PC offerings. I am equally sure that the gun is designed and tested around those springs. Any light strikes that occur with a production gun, as produced and with the strain screw fully tightened would be addressed under warranty.

The main reason people change to aftermarket springs is to lighten the trigger pull, as I pointed out before, that often results in unintended consequences. People that compete with revolvers tacitly accept that risk and are prepared to deal with it or mitigate it. I doubt that you'll find very many revolver competitors that use anything other than Federal primers. They have the softest cups and will ignite with lighter FP strikes than others.

I'm done with this.

Adios,

Pizza Bob