View Single Post

Old 01-12-2020, 02:25 PM

Liked 14,849 Times in 5,049 Posts

My venture in to .32’s actually started with .327 Federal. My bro-in-law bought the early Ruger SP-101 when it was fairly new to market and that was just before Obama was elected the first time and most of us will remember that EVERYTHING from the market disappeared along a time line and .327 Federal ammo and the components to handload it was swept along in that chaos also. Long story short, the dearth of components had me attempting to brainstorm options for my own needs and for feeding my 4.2” barreled GP-100 in .327 Federal.

I wanted to experiment with a stoutly constructed bullet that also didn’t cost a heap of money so that I could bench rest the revolver and shoot at steel plates on the rifle range, hitting targets from 100 to 300 yards with .327 Federal.

I decided to try a heavily plated rifle bullet made by Xtreme that was marketed for the 7.62x39/AK-47. Here we had a .311” slug of 123 grain weight but most importantly to my needs (if it worked...) was that they were sold in boxes of 500. Hornady XTP’s are fantastic bullets but if you compare prices, these AK-47 slugs from Xtreme are dirt cheap in comparison.

This is what she looks like next to an XTP when ready to go make noise. I’m running them with a dose of AA#9. I’ve settled in on a load that runs about 1,150 fps at the muzzle with zero signs of high pressure and room to go faster.

You can read more about my toying with this load and many other folks adventures in to handloading the .327 Federal at this discussion:
Share your .327 Federal Mag load data - The Firing Line Forums
The Following 6 Users Like Post: