View Single Post

Old 01-12-2020, 09:14 PM

Liked 9,019 Times in 3,193 Posts

Yep, I would agree with just loading to regular 45 ACP specs and not +P, as it's just not needed and beats your gun up. Load to around 900 ft/sec and you should be good to go.

If you want hotter, you can get there without going +P. I had bought some Shooter's World powders when Midsouth had a free hazmat with the purchase of SW powders and I had bought some Ultimate Pistol and Auto Pistol. Both work very well in 45 ACP too and it meters great also, much like Accurate powders. Data is a bit scarce, but Shooter's World does have some so you aren't totally in the blind. I loaded up a box of pretty much max non +P loads of Auto Pistol and out of my ACW 1911 (5" bbl), 16 shots averaged 999 ft/sec, 34 ES and 9 SD, shooting Zero 230 grain FMJ bullets. That was pretty much as hot as anything I would want to run through a stock 1911 pistol I think and I wouldn't even give it a steady diet of those either. That was more an "exploring the performance of the powder" type load and it wasn't the first loads I had done with that powder in 45 ACP either.

As for different powders to try, I've found that 45 ACP isn't a picky round to load. I've had good luck with Accurate #5 and #2, SW Clean Shot, Ultimate Pistol and Auto Pistol, CFE-P, Longshot, Power Pistol, BE-86, and probably others that don't pop into my head immediately.
The Following User Likes This Post: