View Single Post

Old 01-12-2020, 11:21 PM

Liked 1,569 Times in 635 Posts

This is my Mod 61, found her in a box of parts, fore-stock broken into three parts Magazine tube missing as was the butt stock and sights, she was discarded with a bunch of other metal parts of stuff. Started out repairing fore stock and finding magazine tubes and hangers. Butt stock was missing so picked up a blank and added that. Went to shoot her and she could not hold a 4 inch group at 50 yards. I believe someone tried to shoot her with a little ice in the bore and it stretched the muzzle. Relined the barrel and then she would shoot as well as any pump rifle. After the first several hundred rounds A Federal 22 "standard velocity" round
that must have had a supreme overload blew up and send the ejector flying about 30 yards to South. A replacement extractor took about a month to locate and she was back in business. Shoots very well, a delight to carry and one of my prizes, cost nothing to buy, but took many hours to get her going.

A lot of work but I have wanted one since I was a little kid and now I have one and love it.

Safety Note: Never stand to the right alongside of a rifle that ejects rounds to the right, this extractor could easily have injured a person. As those of you who have them know it is impossible to make a mod 61 fire without the bolt being fully closed. Federal will argue with you, but I doubt that many employees at Federal customer service have much knowledge of the action of a Mod 61.

Last edited by Ed Fowler; 01-12-2020 at 11:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: