View Single Post

Old 01-13-2020, 11:35 AM

Liked 4,673 Times in 1,599 Posts

Pachmayrs bring back many memories for me.....
Just after finishing college, and prior to starting my LE career, I worked at a very well known area LGS.
Bullseye was still popular, and there was budding interest in what was to become IPSC.
There really weren't many aftermarket grip options out there.
We sold a lot of 'Jay Scott' grips that were mainly just flashy/showy and had no practical applications.
We sold many Herrett's 'Shooting Star' grips that were pretty and functional, depending on taste. Put those on my first centerfire revolver, a Ruger Security Six .357.

Pachmayrs were the mark of a 'real shooter', as Bullseye folks not only put them on revolvers and M1911's, but also would dust their hands with rosin for an even firmer grip. That rosin would stay in the Pach's checkered portion for years.

When I started on the PD in 1980, the issued revolver was a mix of Colt Trooper and Trooper MKIII's.
I immediately put a set of Pachs on it.
A year later, issued revolvers switched to M66's and I put a set of Pach Presentations on it. Back then they were plain black, with no Pach 'escutcheon'.
There really were only a few interested shooters on the department, usually identified by their revolver wearing Pachs.

Over time, on patrol the bottom of the right panel would be abraded by the car seat (if you were RH-ed) and get a little lopsided, but didn't really matter.

At some point, late 80's, I switched to the Pachs that were slimmer and had finger-grooves. By then, Pach had started putting their escutcheon on them.
The switch to M1076 autos came in 1989/90. That grip could get a little slick in the heat/humidity, so for some the Hogue grip sleeve became popular.

The last time I bought a new pair of Pachs was a few years back when many here on SWF and I were taking advantage of a pretty good deal on some S&W M640 .357's that were being sold by Centerfire Systems (?).
Think I ordered from Brownell's.
First set just wouldn't fit. And I noticed the composition was not the same as the 1970's-1980's Pachs. Less pliable.
Got them replaced, and the next set only fit after setting in boiling water for a bit and being screwed down really tight.
I think the newer Pachs are made in Mexico.

They worked OK, but eventually replaced with a set of NOS S&W J-rd. Targets.
SWCA #2275

Last edited by Old Corp; 01-13-2020 at 11:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: