Thread: Wolff springs
View Single Post

Old 01-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Vendor

Liked 13,575 Times in 4,278 Posts

The best way to get the lightest action while eliminating light strikes is to measure and quantify what is going on. Everyone seems to just put parts together and hope for the best, sometimes not an effective plan.

What I do is leave carry or duty guns stock. If you ever need to use it, you wouldn't even notice a heavy trigger pull.

For a target or competition action, I will use a #8-32 x 1/2" socket set screw (headless) with blue Loctite. Then use whatever mainspring and set the tension of the mainspring by measuring the hammer pull using a trigger pull gage.
For Federal primers, with a firing pin of .495 or longer, around 40 to 44 ounces will be reliable. For Winchester primers, about 60 ounces, and CCI about 72 ounces. I drill an access hole in the grip to make adjustments without removing the grips. My guns are working guns, not concerned about the looks. When test firing the gun, you can adjust the mainspring tension up or down to find where it's reliable with that gun and ammo. I make adjustments in approx. 1/8 turn increments of the strain screw. A little bit goes a long way. Once I feel it's reliable, I give it a bit more for insurance.
Every gun and combination of parts is different, so these numbers will vary some. The point is, find what works for that gun and ammo and record the number. Then if you have to work on it later, you can just dial the mainspring back to where it was before. Measuring, not guessing.

Once you have the mainspring working well, try different rebound springs to get the trigger return you like. You don't have to guess what the springs are - you can test them, too. Put a rebound spring in the gun with the hammer out and see what the trigger pull is with just the rebound. The rebound springs I use have about 2 pounds of resistance on the trigger pull gage, when pulling the trigger. Factory springs are around 4 pounds. The various other ones are somewhere in between.

Following this method will get you the lightest trigger pull that works the way you want it to. If you can learn to operate the trigger finger both directions, you can have a lighter rebound spring, therefore a lighter pull. If you ride the trigger forward, you will need a heavier rebound spring, but can still be a lot better than factory trigger.