View Single Post

Old 01-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Liked 210 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera Mike View Post
Thanks all. My 686 has a 4-inch barrel, ideal for a ‘house gun’ IMHO.

I have thousands of 158gr generic JHP bullets on hand that I use for 357/44 B&D and 357 magnum, as well as a bunch of 158gr Hornady JHP I save for use in 357 Auto Mag. And I have thousands of 158gr SWC I use in 357 mag as well. So I’m kind of wedded to that bullet weight, although I suppose I could try lighter weights.

Sounds like AA#5 or HS6 is what I should be trying. I recall reading that AA meters extremely well from a progressive press powder loader (Dillon). Is HS6 similar in that regard? And is one or the other likely to result in less muzzle flash?

Thanks again for the words of wisdom!
HS-6 or AA-5 meters excellent through my LNL powder measure. I haven’t had time to work up a good AA-5 load as still recovering from shoulder surgery but HS-6 with XTP 158 grain bullet is the most accurate load I’ve shot in 38 special from my 14-3 with a 8 3/8” barrel.
I also have a very accurate load using HS-6 in 357 magnum from my 28 with 6” barrel as well.
Others have used lots of other powders and bullets that work for them but HS-6 has worked very well for me.
I also use Speer 158 LSWC bullets with HS-6 that are very close to the XTP for accuracy and do not lead barrel at 38 plus P or mid upper 357 loads.