View Single Post

Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Liked 25,736 Times in 8,695 Posts

The Model 41 is just about the last older designed S&W that they haven't stunk up too too badly yet. The M41 finish is not as nice as the old highly polished Blue, the Grips are no longer solid Walnut - instead they are basically laminated plywood, and the magazines that come with the new ones are IMHO junk. They are way too thin and very cheaply made as compared to the old ones with the metal followers.

That said the basic design is about the same and they seem to shoot fairly well - although IMO the new triggers are not as light as the older versions out of the box. The one plus about buying a new one is that is comes with a lifetime warranty that at some point you might need.

Personally I would opt for a good vintage model that has been cared for (many of them have as they are coveted by their owners) and not only would you be getting a "prettier" gun but a nicer well made one as well. Just be prepared to buy used metal follower Mag's at $50 - $60 each if you want more of them because the new current production Mag's usually won't work or even fit in the vintage guns.

From what I've seen as of late, you can still get a very very nice vintage M41 with the original Mag's and sometimes the box & tools too for under $1,000. The new ones are about $400 more I believe. Your choice of course but IMHO why not get a better quality, better looking and made gun for $400 bucks less. I suppose that is a subjective decision of course.....
The Following User Likes This Post: