View Single Post

Old 01-13-2020, 06:45 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,683 Times in 5,863 Posts

First off, I have no problems shooting 45ACP+P ammunition out of any Modern manufactured firearm that is chambered for the 45ACP and is in good mechanical condition.

I have put probably close to 10,000 rounds of factory loaded 45ACP+P through a single P220 over the decades and many more rounds through other various 45s. I absolutely see the benefit of more power due to some real-life incidents where a barrier needed to be breached before the projectile could impact a target

I have slightly less than a case of Winchester Ranger RA45TP remaining on hand for personal defensive ammunition. Ever 6 Months I shoot the ammunition in my carry firearms and replenish them with fresh rounds

All that said, I am in agreement with BLUEDOT37 that Power Pistol is one of the top powders for High Performance 45 caliber hand-loaded ammunition

While I do not hand-load the 45ACP cartridge to +P levels any longer, I do hand load 45SUPER brass to levels above 45ACP+P pressure for use in firearms that are appropriate to the cartridge.

I believe it was an older copy of the Accurate loading guide that gave me my first taste of +P loads for the 45ACP cartridge. I am referring to the large book that they sell, not the little pamphlet that they give away for free

Using Power pistol with a Winchester 230 grain JHP projectile I have chronographed just under 1100 FPS out of a 4.25" HK USPf. I have not chronographed that same load out of the Springfield LS, a 6" USP Match or a 6" USP Elite yet.

I shoot any and all of the 45 ACP, 45ACP+P and 45SUPER loads from my Model 625 Revolvers. It was the acquisition of my 625 V-Comp for shooting pins that really motivated me to seek more power.

The 45SUPER really helps the V-Comp do its thing while throwing pins of the table with Authority

Last edited by colt_saa; 01-13-2020 at 06:50 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: