View Single Post

Old 01-14-2020, 03:49 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,380 Times in 1,736 Posts

back in the late 60's after I got out of the navy I tried high power shooting.Back in those days you had two options for actions. The high Numbered Springfield action for the 30-06 cartridge. The second one most seen on the field was the pre '64 action also for the 30-06 cartridge.For sights usually Lyman's long slide model 48 rear sight for a front sight again you would see either the Lyman 17 sight or redfield globe front sight.Dunlap has his style of match stocks. Winchester had their Marksman stock. And just about all rifles were drilled and tapped for scope blocks. Scopes usually were the Lyman Supertargetspot or Unertl. Barrels were Douglas and there were quite a few one or two man shops that could fit good barrels to either a Springfield or Winchester action. Pacmayer did supply their white line recoil pads to many target rifles. I started out with a pre'64 Winchester model 70 rifle which had a Douglas barrel. Since I worked rotating shifts it was extremely difficult to schedule time off to attend matches. So ended my foray into High Power match shooting. I had about 4 Winchester match rifles. All had been configured by the factory so you could load 5 rounds with stripper clips. Ammo was either U.S. or gov't issue or handloads. The Gov't match and National match was loaded with a 172 grain bullet with enough IMR 4895 to get approximately 2660 feet per second. I started out with the Sierra 168 grain Match King at approximately 2700 feet per second. all my model 70's went to collectors or newer shooters and the last of my stuff went a few years ago to a Marine just out of the service. Shooting mat, gloves,match sling and some other stuff like 500 once fired Remington brass. All I have now is a post '64 model 70 match rifle. Anyway it was fun while it lasted. Frank

Last edited by Frank46; 01-15-2020 at 04:46 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: