View Single Post

Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinlz View Post
I recently saw an interesting First Series Model 91 with a .22 single shot 10" barrel.

My question--is there a method (short of a letter) to determine whether this left the factory as a .22 single shot, a combo, etc.?

The SN on the front grip strap matches the SN on the barrel latch, the back of the extractor, etc.

Target rear sight with matching SN.

"Model of 91" on the barrel stamp with the usual patent dates.

Grip frame sides were not visible to check on any factory rework stamps.

Thanks for any insights you may have.
If all the numbers match, the condition / price are within reason and acceptable to you ... go for it.

Would be great if you could post a few photos.

The method to assure the barrel is correctly numbered is to view the barrel numbers that are located in the very rear recessed area, visible with the gun upside down, barrel open and latch pushed up as far as you can.

You may need a Q-tip to clean out the recess areas but are usually there to be read with little difficulty.

Being it is numbered late in the 1st model series, pictures would be nice.

Is the flash plate (like on the revolver) there and complete without being altered or is it shaved or revised in some manner ?

Are the single action mechanics for the revolver, there and intact ? You would be able to see the cylinder stop pop up and down when hammer is pulled back with barrel open. And, the "hand" that would advance the cylinder, should be intact and functional regardless that it is in the single shot configuration.

Last item, is the bottom of the barrel contoured to meet the contour in the frame where the cylinder stop button is located.

The 1st model barrels were used on the 2nd model too, I suppose until they were all used up. S&W never threw away any parts or components that could be made use of.

The 2nd model barrel, at the very bottom, would be flat with a straight recessed depression from front to rear stopping / starting about 1/4" from very front and very rear of barrel.

If you've got matching serial numbers, all the way around, you can basically feel comfortable that it left the factory that way.

Or as Ralph offered, may have gone back for another barrel or barrel change to the factory ... in those situation the mechanic / machinist / builder / repairman would almost ALWAYS stamp the newly (then set) barrel with the correct serial number.

In early years the reworked star in the serial number or date on the grip frame were not always implemented.

Maybe Ralph will jump back in but the oldest S&W rework / repair date stamp I have on any of my factory repaired or refurbished guns is about 1912. Even if done after the "TEENS" doesn't guarantee if got the rework stamp.

From all you've posted .... if the SN on the barrel matches, the parts should be all original providing they meet those other requirements I posted.

If you are not going to purchase this gun yourself, perhaps you can refer the seller to either me or other interested member. I have about a dozen 1891 1st models, most in upper conditions, one in the high 90% condition with a 6", .38 S&W barrel with serial number of this .38 Cal listed and confirmed in Neil and Jinks.

Best Regards, Sal Raimondi ( MODEL3SW )

Last edited by model3sw; 01-14-2020 at 05:38 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: