View Single Post

Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 AM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

The Centennials make for great carry guns. A 642-1 was my primary (only?) carry gun for several years. I still carry it, occasionally as a primary but mostly as a BUG.

You've got a pretty good set-up right out of the gate, so don't worry about getting more accessories. Work with what you've got, and then you can see if you want/need anything else. But I'll go ahead and share what I've learned over the years carrying a snub. Hopefully you'll find it useful.

My preferred carry load is the Speer 135gr SB-GDHP +P. It's established a solid track record in actual shootings.

My second choice is the Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP standard pressure load, which achieves the same velocity as the original, and also well-proven, +P FBI load. I still keep a box on hand. I would be wary with BB's +P version as it is quite stout. I fired 5 rounds through my 642 and my first thought was, "Well, I'm never doing THAT again!"

Both of those loads are manageable in small doses, unless you're more recoil-sensitive. My favorite light load was the Federal 125gr Nyclad, but it's no longer made. I have been meaning to try Winchester's 130gr Defend JHP, but it's not really a priority for me right now.

The 148gr WC is a good choice for a snubby load. Has the potential to cut a full-caliber wound channel, and will likely penetrate deeply enough while minimizing the risk for overpenetration, while having relatively low recoil. However, test the load first. I tried some and they keyholed pretty badly in my 642, leaving long, vertical tears in the target. I have another box from a different brand that I'll get around to trying to see if I get better results.

I like 130gr FMJ ammo for practice, currently using PMC 132gr FMJ. I also have some Speer 158gr TMJ +P Lawman ammo for +P practice.

Since others have mentioned grips...My favorite is the Spegel boot grip. I have a cocobolo set that works very well for me. However, I also like the PGS Hideout grips (I have the smooth, non-finger-grooved version) and that's what my 642-1 is currently wearing (my Spegels are on my 642ND). The biggest downside with the PGS grips is that they won't allow use of speedloaders unless you modify the grip panel (which I've done). That won't matter if you intend to use strips for reloads. Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with the factory grips if they work for you. Grips are very personal, so what works for me may or may not work for you.

Some people like to paint the sights on their snubs to make them easier to see. I painted the sights on my 642-1 with black paint on the rear sight (not really necessary on the 442) and fluorescent orange over a white base coat on the front sight (the white base coat helps make the orange "pop") using Testors enamel paint and a clear hardening nail polish overcoat for extra durability.

I'd recommend a couple sets of snap caps (I like A-Zooms) for dry fire practice, which will help smooth the action a bit and strengthen the relevant muscles in your hands. They can also help with reload practice.

Holsters are a whole 'nuther topic. The DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster is a good choice, though personally I try to avoid pocket carry when possible. I also have a Blue Force Gear pocket holster, which is thinner but also has a little more retention on the gun than I'd like for a pocket holster. I have a Side Guard Holsters Quick Clip IWB holster that works very well for me. I currently use a Wilderness Tactical elastic ankle holster that works very well for me. For belt carry, I'll also carry reloads either as Safariland Comp I speedloaders in JOX kydex belt pouches or a strip in a Simply Rugged belt pouch. When pocket or ankle carrying, I use a strip in a Side Guard Holsters pocket pouch.

But holsters are very personal, so you may need to experiment if you want to carry your snub. Lots of good makers, both production and custom, are out there.

Just my thoughts on snubs. Enjoy your new gun.

P.S.: Apologies for the novel.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: