View Single Post

Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 PM

Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts

Both are fairly good rifles. I've carried Colt for work and shot S&W for fun and used both COLT and S&W parts for builds. BLUFF: If you are buying it as a duty weapon, used for high round count classes or dedicated fighting rifle I'd recommend the Colt. If you want a range toy, or a fun shooter that could be used for self defense in a pinch, The Smith would be fine.

The Colt will probably cost more and be a little harder to get. The Colt will most likely have a higher resale value (no guarantees). Colt 6920 series rifles have chrome lined 4150 barrels while the S&Ws could have a melonited 4140 barrel (depending on model). While I would expect a longer life span from the Colt barrel due to the metallurgy, that may or may not prove to be the case in your experience (ammo used, firing schedule, maintenance regime all factor in). Colt has been the "Gold Standard" for ARs for a number of years and has provided service rifles for various federal agencies.

The Smith sport series has proven to be very reliable. The late Pat Rogers from EAG tactical, notorious for being hard on rifles, commented many times on how the M&P Sport models made it through his high round count classes. While Rogers recommended Colt and then BCM, he was impressed by the M&P and that impressed me too.

Last edited by cd228; 01-15-2020 at 08:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: