View Single Post

Old 01-16-2020, 02:19 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 45,764 Times in 4,819 Posts

I joined 11-12 years ago and I have attended 3 Symposiums. I love being a member - I love the articles in the Journal, I love the access to ship dates and other info available in the members-only section of the Forum. AND I especially love the Symposiums!!! They are a treat. Can you say Kid in a Candy/Toy Shop

The Symposiums are filled with great guns and wonderful people. It is one of the most educational events that I have ever attended. A few examples of the cool things that occur at the Symposiums:

1) About 10 years ago, I walked into the "Gun Room" of the Tucson Symposium, to be greeted by a full wall of Registered Magnums (probably 50-60 of them in pristine condition)! It was Cheryl Cheely's display of "Ray's Babies" - talk about sensory overload. In addition, Bill Cross brought a few of his Alvin White engraved 44 Magnums, the sight of which sunk an engraving hook in my soul. After a couple of days there, my cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

2) I knew almost nothing about S&W semiautomatic pistols, but at the Reno Symposium, my display table happened to be right next to a fantastic collection of Model 39s. There was also another wonderful collection of Model 39s at that Symposium. Both of the Model 39 exhibitors took one-on-one time educating me in the beauty, function and history of the Model 39. I still don't know a lot about that historical firearm, but the time spent learning from the experts was fascinating - thanks RS.

3) In Richardson last summer, I spent hours learning about the top break S&Ws - which I knew almost nothing about. The displays were outstanding and members freely spent hours walking me through their interests and collection - sometimes we would spend 30-40 minutes discussing one gun. It was fascinating!

Wonderful guns, wonderful people and very educational. The SWCA brings a whole additional "pallet of colors" to brighten any collection of S&Ws. It is one of the better investments that I have made.

Thanks to all the members that have made my experience enjoyable.

And as always, thanks for letting me share,
The Following 24 Users Like Post: