View Single Post

Old 01-16-2020, 05:25 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,574 Times in 5,847 Posts

I joined 12 or more years ago.

I think I waited so long because I had the common misconception that this was just Old Snobby Rich Guys Gun Club that looked down on anyone that did not own a Registered Magnum. Well, my entire collection and knowledge was toward post-1980 Smith & Wessons. So what's in it or me

Then I met one member locally and he was just a regular guy. Through him, I met other local SWCA members.

I work the typical 26 hour workday a full 8 days a week, at least that is how it feels. I struggle for each purchase I make and I follow my Father's advice.

My Father used to say that having a good collection was easy. Just buy a few good pieces each year and never sell them. In a few years you will have a collection.

I have followed that advice since 1977.

I am a museum lover, so I do understand why you might want to keep and preserve somethings. Perhaps that is what drew me to the SWCA

The Symposiums always fell on the same days as my industry's annual event. So I had no choice, I worked.

The first Symposium I attended was in Charlotte. The first display along the side of the room where the registration table was had me in awe.

14 tables long with no duplication from the front of the room to the back, this was a display of pristine condition, in the box, Post War Blue Revolvers. WHOA . . . I was in Heaven

It was very impressive and educational. I even offered to help the Collector box these back up for transport home just to handle them (wearing gloves of course)

By the time I got around to my second Symposium in Richardson (5 years later), I already had members that communicated back and forth with me for my insight into the things I collect. I thought that was cool

I am still trying to gather enough funds to swing my third Symposium in Tulsa. Being the organization's 50th Anniversary I expect it to be a huge deal.

I will have to drive to the Symposium because I intend to display the 356TSW Cartridge and its Firearms.
This will be my first display, what pushed me in that direction is that I brought one of my 356TSW chambered autoloaders, the 3566 Limited with two top ends, to the "Show and Tell" segment. The interest in the cartridge and firearms truly surprised me

The SWCA is not a bunch of Old Fuddy Duddys talking Registered Magnums, it is a Big, Knowledgable, Friendly, Diverse Family of folks that ALL have a PASSION for the Artistry in Arms that is Smith & Wesson

Last edited by colt_saa; 01-20-2020 at 03:35 PM.
The Following 26 Users Like Post: