View Single Post

Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,047 Times in 4,758 Posts

I’ve had older Model 41s for years and used to shoot them regularly with two friends who used newer model 41s. I don’t recall ever having a malfunction with my old 41s (that couldn’t be properly blamed on ammunition) and don’t recall my friends complaining of function problems with their newer guns. I’m really at a loss to understand your difficulties, but it doesn’t sound like they are either ammunition- or shooter-induced. One gun might be a lemon, but two in a row makes one scratch his head.

The 41’s match-quality reputation is well deserved, but I don’t doubt that there are easier pistols to shoot, notably the old High Standards. The issue seems to be that a lot of shooters find the 41 trigger difficult to manage. Other than that, I have never heard much in the way of consistent complaints about functioning. I’ve heard there used to be a few smiths who were skilled at tuning 41 triggers, though I’ve never bothered the send one of my guns out for the work. But, there’s never been any doubt in my mind that 41s were/are very capable guns. Hope S&W will get your problems squared away and gets you a pistol that works as well as mine have.
The Following User Likes This Post: